You'll be great. Trust us.
We're all ears. Before we became players, singers, conductors, and composers, listening was our first love. And it's still the skill that underlies everything we do at SFCM. Hearing who you are and how far you've come is the first step toward a beautiful musical partnership. We can't wait to hear you.
Audition Requirements: Collaborative Piano (graduate level only)
Live auditions at the Conservatory are required of the following applicants:
- Anyone residing in California
Regional auditions are available for the following applicants:
- Applicants residing outside of California
Final audition recordings are accepted from the following applicants:
- Applicants residing outside the United States
- Final recordings must be submitted online through the formal DecisionDesk Application, found here, no later than December 1.
- A major solo work (refer to graduate piano requirements)
- One complete instrumental sonata chosen from the following:
- Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major
- Brahms: Violin Sonata No. 2 in A Major
- Four vocal pieces chosen from the following:
- Strauss: Allerseelen
- Barber: The Monk and His Cat
- Brahms: Meine Liebe ist Grün
- Schubert: Ganymed
- Debussy: C’est l’extase
- Puccini: Mi chiamano Mimi
Please select on the online application whether you would like the Conservatory to provide instrumentalists and vocalists for your audition or whether you plan to bring your own soloists. Applicants auditioning at a regional audition site must bring their own soloists.
Collaborative piano live audition dates at SFCM:
- January 22, 2017
- February 19, 2017
Regional auditions (North America):
- Montreal: January 12, 2017 - Schulich School of Music, McGill University
- Interlochen: January 14, 2017
- Chicago: January 16, 2017
- New York: February 26, 2017 - Steinway & Sons, Manhattan
Regional auditions (Asia):
- Seoul: October 16, 2016 - Naeum Art Hall
- Taipei: October 18, 2016 - The Forum Auditorium
- Guangzhou: October 21 - 23, 2016 - Xinhai Conservatory
- Shanghai: October 26-29, 2016 - Tongii University
- Beijing: October 31 - November 4, 2016 - China Conservatory
Mainland China auditions are in partnership with USA Schools of Music.