The application process runs from February 1 until April 15. Note: The audition selection process may result in openings after application deadlines. Please inquire about openings after these deadlines.
How to Apply
- Current Pre-College students and SMW Alumni please click "Sign In" and login.
- New applicants, please click "Create an Account." First, enter information for an adult in the family and click "Create Account and Add Family Member." Then enter student name and review information. Under "Personal Information/Role in Family," select "child" and enter a birthdate for the student.
- An audition or interview is required for all applicants. Click "Current Offerings" and select "Summer Programs" from the drop down menu. Add the course "Admission for Summer Programs" to your shopping cart. Follow the step-by-step instructions and complete registration with online payment of the $50 non-refundable application fee. Be sure to complete the questions about your previous musical experience including youth orchestra/band/chorus, other summer camps, and chamber music (list repertoire performed and studied) and the dates of your participation. An audition will be arranged via a confirmation email.
- Answer all the questions online, and then consider submitting a musical resume (optional) to the Pre-College office at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail.
- Long distance applicants may submit a video recording in lieu of a live audition, but please write to confirm contents needed before your recording session.
Auditions / Interviews
Auditions and/or interviews are required for all programs and will be arranged only upon receipt of a completed online application and payment of the application fee. The bulk of auditions occur in April. Admission will be based on demonstrated ability as well as compatibility with other applicants.
Gilbert & Sullivan Scenes Requirements
Present two contrasting selections in English (one at a lively tempo), from the Gilbert & Sullivan, classic Broadway (no belting, please), light opera or operetta repertoire. Choose songs that show off your personality. Selections should be memorized. You will also be asked to sight-read a monologue. Accompanist provided.
Composition Workshop Requirements
Submit PDF scores of two recently composed contrasting works (with MP3 or MP4 recordings if available) at the time of application. An interview with the composition instructor is required, during which you should be prepared to perform one short piece on your instrument. Long distance applicants may interview by phone.
Long distance applicants may submit a video recording in lieu of a live audition. VHS or DVD recordings submitted should include the components listed above and meet with the approval of your teacher. List your name, instrument, composers, titles and program for which you are applying on the video label. If applying for Gilbert & Sullivan Scenes, please write in to request a monologue. Audition recordings will not be returned and must be received by listed application deadlines. MP3s and CDs will not be accepted. International students should ensure their video is appropriately formatted for North America.
Financial Aid Application
Partial Scholarships are awarded to a limited number of students who show a high level of musical proficiency and demonstrate a clear financial need. You must submit a fully completed form along with page one of a parent's most recent Federal Income Tax return. If no tax return is filed, you must submit adequate proof of income such as a Form W-2, a 1099, a year-end pay stub, or the foreign equivalent. All information will be held in strict confidence. Completed forms must be received by April 1. An incomplete application will not be considered.