What to Expect on Audition Day
We’ve put together a list of must-know information for your audition at SFCM. Be sure to check out the list below to see what’s in store for you on audition day.
On the Day of Your Audition
- There is limited parking in the neighborhood, so it may be easier to arrive by public transportation. We are on the MUNI line and a 10-minute walk from the Civic Center BART stop.
- Arrive at 50 Oak St and check in with security to gain access to the building.
- Check in with the admissions team at the welcome table on the café level.
- Be sure to find out about the information sessions and tours that will be going on throughout the audition day when you check in. You can expect to spend most of your day at SFCM.
- Warm up in your designated warm up room.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your audition time at the designated audition space.
- We would love to have as many parents, family, and friends at audition days as possible! We will have many events and meetings with great information for students and parents alike including:
- Information sessions with Financial Aid and Student Life
- Tours of SFCM and the Panoramic (residence hall)
- Tours of SFCM's new Technology and Applied Composition Labs
- A welcome from our President
- Performances at SFCM and our neighboring arts organizations in the Civic Center
- Chats with our Associate Deans
- Conversations over coffee/tea with our Dean
During Your Audition
- If your repertoire list has changed since you submitted your application, please have an updated version on-hand to give to the jury at your audition.
- The audition panel will likely say a few words of welcome to you, and they will often allow you to choose the first piece that you perform.
- After your first selection, the panel will then choose the additional material that they would like to hear.
- The panel may stop you in the middle of one of your selections due to time restrictions. Please do not be concerned if you do not have the opportunity to perform all of your pieces from beginning to end.
After Your Audition
- You're done. Congratulations!
- Be sure to check your handout for information session times, tours, and meetings with current students.
- Take time to explore the area around the Conservatory (i.e. Hayes Street) and enjoy the city.
You will be notified of admission decisions by March 15 if you are a graduate student or by April 1 if you are an undergraduate student.
The Days before and after Your Audition
- Feel free to sit in on classes and rehearsals while you are here in San Francisco.
- Check our performance calendar to see if there are any SFCM concerts or recitals you would like to see.
- Depending on their availability, faculty are often willing to give you a consultative lesson during your visit. Contact them far in advance to schedule a lesson time while you're in San Francisco. You can find their contact information in their faculty profiles, or e-mail email@example.com.
- Get out and explore beautiful San Francisco!