Interlibrary loan makes it possible for Conservatory students, faculty and staff to borrow materials that the Conservatory does not own. Limitations may apply on current year titles, reference books, periodicals, dissertations, audio/video materials and rare materials. Interlibrary loan delivery can take several days to several weeks. There may be a charge for the acquisition of materials via interlibrary loan, depending on the lending institution. To fill out the Interlibrary Loan Request form, click here. (This form is also available at the library desk.)
Reference assistance is available on a walk-in basis through the online form (click here), by phone (415-503-6213), by e-mail (email@example.com), and by scheduling an appointment with a librarian.
Assistance in formulating and pursuing library research strategies is available by appointment with library staff. Services include assistance with identifying, locating and using appropriate print and digital resources for your project as well as assistance with finding specific books, articles, music materials and other items. Contact the library to schedule an appointment.
Use of the Conservatory Library is limited to Conservatory students, faculty, staff and alumni. Access by others is limited to those with research needs that can only be met by our collection. Please call 415-503-6256 to discuss an appointment to use the library.
The San Francisco Conservatory of Music Library extends borrowing privileges to Conservatory students, faculty and staff members who are currently enrolled in courses or are employed by the Conservatory.
Please consult the Alumni Page for more information regarding Alumni borrowing privileges.
- Books and scores:
- Faculty and staff: 6 months for books and scores
- Students: 6 week loans
- Alumni: 2 week loans
- Audio-visual materials:
- Faculty and staff: 2 weeks
- Students and alumni: 1 week
- Reserve materials (all formats):
- Faculty: 6 hours
- All other borrowers: 2 hours
If an item you wish to borrow is checked out by another patron, you may place a hold on that item at the library desk. The original borrower is allowed a three-week check out, after which the item will be recalled for your use.
After three weeks, all materials are subject to recall. If an item is recalled, it will be assigned a new due date with charges accruing as of that date.
- Scores and books: $0.20/day; up to $10 maximum fine.
- Audio-visual materials: $1/day; $10 maximum fine.
- Reserves: $1/hour; no maximum.
After a third overdue notice is issued, all borrowers are billed as follows:
- A processing fee of $15 plus the replacement cost of the item.
- If the item is returned, the fine is reduced to the $10 maximum fine.
- Please note that the cost of out of print items is generally $50 or more.
- Books/scores: may be renewed for an additional loan period (i.e. 6 weeks for students).
- A/V material: may be renewed for an additional 1 week, unless recalled.
- How to Renew ›