Departments and Faculty
String and Piano Chamber
All String and Piano Chamber Music applicants are required to submit unedited audiovisual recordings fulfilling the prescreening requirements listed below with the application. Applicants will be informed if they have been invited to an audition or have been denied in prescreening. If invited, applicants will be required to audition live at SFCM. COVID-19 vaccination is required. Any applicant for the String and Piano Chamber Music Program who is unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccination due to a medical diagnosis should reach out to Lisa Nickels, Director of Admission.
If denied for the String and Piano Chamber Music program, an applicant may be invited to be considered for the Master of Music or Professional Studies Certificate in Instrumental Performance programs which do include extensive training in chamber music. Those applicants will be notified of this invite with the prescreening decision.
- INDIVIDUAL PERFORMER
Candidates must submit prescreening recordings with the following solo repertoire. Please note that current SFCM students are also required to submit a prescreening recording if applying for the String and Piano Chamber Music program. Repertoire should be performed from memory.
- Any first movement of a Beethoven Sonata
- Any étude of virtuosity from one of the following composers: Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, Liszt, or Debussy
- Two contrasting movements of a Bach solo suite, sonata, or partita
- Any first movement of a concerto, with cadenza where applicable
Recordings should include other players. Due to the current pandemic, any duo, trio, quartet, quintet, or sextet recordings submitted may be from within the past two years.
- One first movement of a Beethoven Sonata
- One étude of virtuosity from one of the following composers: Chopin, Debussy, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, or Scriabin
- One first movement of a piano trio by Beethoven, Mozart, or Schubert
- Two contrasting movements of a piano quartet or quintet by Brahms, Dvorak, Schubert, or Schumann. One of the movements must be a slow movement.
- One first movement of a concerto
- Two movements of a Bach solo sonata, partita, or suite
- One duo work with piano, preferably a sonata
- Two movements of contrasting chamber music works (piano or string trio, quartet, quintet, or sextet) One work must be written between 1750-1828 and the other work written after 1850.
- PREFORMED GROUP
Preformed string and/or piano chamber groups that are not a quartet may still be eligible to participate in this program. Please email Lisa Nickels, Director of Admission, for confirmation.
Candidates who wish to apply as a pre-formed string quartet must submit an audiovisual recording of the group performing two contrasting movements of chamber repertoire. Each member of the group should also submit a separate application. Please upload a biography of the chamber group to each application.
Final Audition Repertoire
Please prepare two complete chamber works of contrasting style and period.
For audition dates, please visit Auditions.