All conducting applicants are required to submit recordings fulfilling the prescreening requirements listed below with the application. Recordings must be audiovisual, unedited, and performed in one take. Applicants will be informed by January 5 if they are invited to attend a virtual performance interview or have been denied in prescreening. If invited, the applicant will be required to select a virtual performance interview time where they will complete the Final Audition requirements.
Pending COVID-19 status and San Francisco Department of Public Health guidelines, SFCM may elect to have auditions for Conducting in person in San Francisco or at an applicant’s current location. Candidates in the final round will be notified in January if this is possible.
SFCM will NOT be accepting applications for the Master of Music or Professional Studies Diploma in Conducting for Spring 2021.
- An unedited audiovisual recording of the applicant conducting a group in rehearsal for at least 30 minutes. A full orchestra is not necessary. Applicants may include a concert performance in addition to the 30 minutes of rehearsal, but this is not required.
- An audiovisual recording of the applicant performing one or two pieces on their primary instrument.
Final Audition Requirements
- Ear training test: intervals, chords and progressions, error identification, intonation, rhythm
- Basic score reading, including transpositions and clefs
- Written test covering knowledge of repertoire, orchestration, music theory, and music history
- Candidates are encouraged to present themselves on their primary instrument and/or to present other musical strengths (piano, composition, etc.)
Rehearsal with small string chamber orchestra. Repertoire will be given approximately 8 weeks before the audition.
Virtual Performance Interview Dates