All conducting applicants are required to submit unedited audiovisual recordings fulfilling the prescreening requirements listed below with the application. Applicants will be informed by January 5 if they are invited to attend a virtual performance interview or have been denied in prescreening. If invited, the applicant will be required to select a virtual performance interview time where they will complete the Final Audition requirements.
SFCM will NOT be accepting applications for the Master of Music or Professional Studies Certificate in Conducting for Spring 2021.
- An unedited audiovisual recording of the applicant conducting a group in rehearsal continuously for at least 30 minutes. A full orchestra is not necessary. Applicants may include a concert performance in addition to the 30 minutes of rehearsal, but this is not required.
- An audiovisual recording of the applicant performing one or two pieces on their primary instrument.
Final Audition Requirements
This portion will be held virtually using Zoom in January.
- Ear training test: intervals, chords and progressions, error identification, intonation, rhythm
- Basic score reading, including transpositions and clefs
- Written test covering knowledge of repertoire, orchestration, music theory, and music history
- Candidates are encouraged to present themselves on their primary instrument and/or to present other musical strengths (piano, composition, etc.)
Virtual Performance Interview
Pending COVID-19 status and San Francisco Department of Public Health guidelines, SFCM may elect to have auditions for Conducting in person in San Francisco or at an applicant’s current location. Candidates in the final round will be notified in January if this is possible.
If in person at SFCM, this will include conducting a rehearsal with a small string chamber orchestra. Repertoire will be given approximately 8 weeks before the audition.
If held virtually, the applicant will be interviewed using Zoom and must submit a final audition recording. Repertoire and format will be discussed directly with the Chair of Conducting.
Virtual Performance Interview Dates
March, By Appointment