Departments and Faculty
All conducting applicants are required to submit unedited audiovisual recordings fulfilling the prescreening requirements listed below with the application. Applicants will be informed if they are invited to attend an audition or have been denied in prescreening.
Applicants wanting to schedule a lesson with Edwin Outwater should first submit the application before reaching out to him.
- An unedited audiovisual recording of the applicant conducting a group in rehearsal continuously for at least 30 minutes. A full orchestra or other ensemble is not necessary. Applicants may include a concert performance in addition to the 30 minutes of rehearsal, but this is not required.
- An audiovisual recording of the applicant performing one or two pieces on their primary instrument.
Final Audition Requirements
- Ear training test: intervals, chords and progressions, error identification, intonation, rhythm
- Basic score reading, including transpositions and clefs
- Written test covering knowledge of repertoire, orchestration, music theory, and music history
- Candidates are encouraged to present themselves on their primary instrument and/or to present other musical strengths (piano, composition, etc.)
Live Audition at SFCM
Applicants invited through prescreening will be required to audition live at SFCM. This will include conducting a rehearsal with a small string chamber orchestra. Repertoire will be given approximately 8 weeks before the audition.
Auditions are scheduled individually.