Here’s the breakdown of costs for tuition and other expenses at SFCM.
The numbers below apply to both undergraduate and graduate programs.
$46,350 annually / $23,175 per semester
Full-time students who wish to register for credits in excess of 18.5 in the Fall or Spring (not counting ensembles) must pay a per-credit fee of $2,040.
Secondary/additional instrument instruction
- One hour-long lesson per week: $10,340 annually / $5,170 per semester
- One half-hour lesson per week: $5,170 annually / $2,585 per semester
Per academic credit
$4,080 annually / $2,040 per semester
Private instruction (one hour-long lesson per week)
$18,500 annually / $9,250 per semester
SFCM Student Budget
Students should come to SFCM fully prepared to meet their tuition, fees, and living expenses. Although living expenses will vary considerably, the following figures should help students plan a budget for the academic year:
|2019 - 2020 SFCM Student Budget (budget is based on nine-month academic year)|
|Budget Category||Living with Parents||Living in Residence Hall - Double Room||Per Semester
|Health Services Fee||$250||$250||$125|
|Total tuition and fees||$47,460||$47,460||$23,730|
|Estimated additional student expenses|
|Books and Supplies||$975||$975|
- Budgets are for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Expenses are estimated and will vary from student to student except for tuition and fees.
- Personal expenses include toiletries, clothing, and entertainment.
- This is the budget that will be used for purposes of Financial Aid.
- If you have any questions please contact the Financial Aid Office.
***All full-time students are required to have health insurance. Undergraduate cost of the Student Health Insurance Plan is $2,140 ($895 for Fall, $1,245 for Spring and Summer), and the Graduate student cost is $2,905 per year, ($1,215 for Fall and $1,690 for Spring). Fall coverage is from 8/1/2019 to 12/31/2019 and Spring coverage is from 1/1/2020 to 7/31/2020. All students will have this charge on their student billing account until waived with proof of insurance and a signed waiver form. Student Health Insurance Plan
Payment of Tuition and Fees
The $500 enrollment reservation is required of all students and is credited to the tuition payment due for the Fall semester. The enrollment reservation is non-refundable if the student fails to register, and is due from new graduate and postgraduate students by April 15, and from new undergraduate students by May 1. The enrollment deposit should be paid through the admitted student's application status page after indicating attendance through the Reply to Offer of Admission form.
The balance of Fall tuition and fees must be paid when Fall classes begin. Spring tuition and fees must be paid when Spring classes begin. Students may also enroll in the Term Payment Plan, which requires a $50 enrollment fee.
Late Registration Fees
- First week: $250
- Each subsequent week: $50
- Late Payment Fee: $75
- Late Tuition Payment Plan Fee: $25
- Non-Sufficient Funds Fee: $25
Payments can be made by cash, check, or credit card:
- Checks can be mailed to SFCM, in care of the Business Office (50 Oak Street, San Francisco, CA 94102), or they can be brought in person. Checks should be made out to “The San Francisco Conservatory of Music” or “SFCM.”
- Credit card payments can be made over the phone or in person.
- You may mail your credit card information to the Business Office. If you do so, please include the card number, expiration date, billing address, and your name as it appears on your credit card.
- Foreign credit cards are accepted.
- Please DO NOT email your credit card information. As part of our PCI Compliance, we don’t send or receive credit card information in unencrypted forms.
- To enroll in automatic credit card payments, please fill out and return the Credit Card Authorization form. For security reasons, please DO NOT email the authorization form to the Business Office. Either send it to us by postal mail to SFCM Student Accounts, 50 Oak Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 or bring it to the Business Office in person. Credit Card Authorization Form
- If you wish to wire funds to SFCM, please contact Anna Semina in the Business Office.
Term Payment Plan (TPP)
For students who want to pay on a monthly basis, the Conservatory offers an in-house Term Payment Plan for a fee of $50 per semester. Tuition, fees, and housing (if applicable) for each semester will be divided into four equal payments, due at the beginning of each month. A $25 late fee is charged for all payments submitted after the 5th of the month. For more information on this plan, please read the Term Payment Plan Enrollment Form below. The first installment for the Fall 2019 semester is due September 4, 2019. Please note that this plan doesn't automatically renew; to keep using it, you must enroll every semester.
Use the Net Price Calculator to get a sense of the cost of attendance based on what similar students paid in a previous year.