Life isn’t an audition.
Any music school can make you a better player. Our interconnected courses are built to transform you intellectually, artistically, professionally, and individually. You’ll understand the roots of your music, freeing you to take it somewhere new. You’ll see how your training broadens your options, rather than narrowing them. You'll find your voice. And you'll enter the world with the same confidence you bring to the stage.
Curriculum: Master of Music in Orchestral Instruments (Strings)
Credit total: 54
|1st/2nd yr.||PVL 600 Major Instruction||16|
|Musicianship and Music Theory
Credits earned for MMT 602/604 will not count towards the overall credit requirements for graduation, but will affect the student’s GPA.
|1st yr.||MMT 602 Musicianship Review||3|
|2nd yr.||MMT 604 Music Theory Review||3|
|Music History and Literature (12 credits total)
Students may pass part or all of the music history placement exam. Students who fail the first part must take MHL 602 and students who fail the second part must take MHL 603. MHL 602 and 603 will count towards the 12 credits required. Students will not receive credit by exam for placing out of MHL 602 or 603. MHL 300-500 are undergraduate courses and do not count for this requirement.
|1st yr.||MHL 602 Topics in Music History||3|
|1st yr.||MHL 603 Topics in Music History||3|
|1st yr.||Proseminar MHL 650-699||3|
|MMT 702 or MHL 600-799||3-9|
|Career and Professional Development (2 credits)
Any class with the PDV prefix will fulfill this requirement. Students are also encouraged to develop a well defined and focused Independent Study Project.
|Ensembles (8 credits of ENS 200; 6 additional credits)|
|1st/2nd yr.||ENS 200 Orchestra||8|
|Electives (1 credit)
Courses numbered HMS 202-590, MMT 202-799, and courses in the APP, ENS, IND, MHL and PDV series that aren’t used to fulfill core curriculum or major field requirements may be used to fulfill the requirements for the elective credits listed for individual majors.
|Juries and Recitals|
|1st yr.||JRMM1 First Graduate Jury|
|1st Yr||RCTMM1 First Graduate Recital|
|2nd yr.||JRMM2 Second Graduate Jury|
|2nd yr.||RCTMM2 Second Graduate Recital|
Recitals and Juries
- Two graduate juries and two graduate recitals are required.
- Two graduate juries are required to determine fulfillment of performance requirements; two graduate recitals are required. The first graduate jury must consist of one work from each of the four categories outlined in the Master of Music curriculum within the Collegiate Catalog.
Historical Performance Emphasis for Baroque Cello (Graduate) (total credits: 11-13)
- ENS 210 Conservatory Baroque Ensemble (2 semesters, 4 credits)
- ENS 212 Continuo Playing (1 semester, 2 credits). Not required if student can demonstrate prior experience.
- MHL 733 Performance Practice: Baroque Era (1 semester, 3 credits). In years where MHL 733 is not offered, students should register for MHL 400 (Introduction to Performance Practice).
- PRF 334 Baroque Cello (2 semesters, 4 credits)
- HPE Jury: Jury requirements as determined by HPE faculty (HPE Jury is in addition to major instrument jury)
These credits also count towards the Master of Music degree.