Departments and Faculty
Technology and Applied Composition
All TAC applicants are required to submit notated scores and recordings fulfilling the prescreening requirements listed below with the application. Applicants will be informed by January 5 if they are invited to attend a virtual performance interview or have been denied in prescreening. If invited, the applicant will be required to select a virtual performance interview time and have the opportunity to make updates to their composition scores and recordings submitted in prescreening for up to one week before the selected virtual performance interview time.
SFCM will NOT be accepting applications for the Bachelor of Music, Master of Music, or Professional Studies Diploma in Technology and Applied Composition for Spring 2021. We may be able to accept an application for a student wishing to transfer into the Bachelor of Music program. Reach out to the Office of Admission to inquire.
Uploaded Media and Composition Scores
- One notated musical score that demonstrates original musical thought and the fundamentals of compositional technique
- One self-produced recording of an original work (can be made using any combination of acoustic and virtual instruments)
- Additional work samples: We want to get a sense of how you think and interact with various disciplines and technologies. Please include anything that might paint a bigger picture of your creativity or interests. Multimedia art, interactive digital art, literary interests, improvisation, and computer-generated compositions are encouraged.
- Audiovisual performance of a selection of music on the piano or keyboard that demonstrates basic knowledge of music theory and hand coordination. Pieces can vary in difficulty. If you would like to prepare something more advanced, we encourage you to do so. The following are examples of beginner to intermediate pieces that could be performed with a few months of practice for non-pianists. The entire work does not need to be performed, only selections:
- Bach, Notebook for Anna Magdalena
- Kabalevsky, Pieces for Children, Op. 27
- Stravinsky, Les cinq doigts
- Bartok, Mikrokosmos
- If piano is not your primary instrument, please upload a performance of a short piece on your primary instrument. This is in addition to the piano performance requirement.
Writing Requirements Within the Application
- In the required Personal Statement essay describing your decision to apply to SFCM, please also detail your interest and/or experience with music outside of the classical tradition, as well as your musical training background.
- Essay: Choose one topic (200-250 words)
- Recent developments in music technology provide the modern composer with practically limitless creative possibilities. Describe your thoughts on the intersection of technology and music.
- At SFCM, we bring people together to better the lives of others through music. Describe one way in which you have contributed to your community, whether in your family, the classroom, your neighborhood, etc.
Interview with faculty from the TAC program (based on the prescreen portfolio) exploring creativity and artistic expression
Virtual Performance Interview Dates