Here’s the breakdown of costs for tuition and other expenses at SFCM.
Full-time student (undergraduate and graduate)
$45,000 annually / $22,500 per semester
Part-time student, per academic credit (undergraduate and graduate)
$3,960 annually / $1,980 per semester
Private instruction for part-time student (one hour-long lesson per week)
$17,960 annually / $8,980 per semester
Minor instrument instruction (available to full-time students only)
- One hour-long lesson per week: $10,040 annually / $5,020 per semester
- One half-hour lesson per week: $5,020 annually / $2,510 per semester
Full-time students who wish to register for credits in excess of 18.5 in the Fall or Spring (not counting ensembles) must pay a per-credit fee of $1,980.
2018–19 Fees and Deposits, per Semester
Application Fee (non-refundable): $110
Enrollment Reservation Deposit (refundable only if student has registered): $500
Library/Security Deposit (new students only): $50
Comprehensive Fee (per semester): $430
Health Services Fee (per semester): $125
Term Payment Plan Fee (per semester): $50
Late Registration Fees
First week: $250
Each subsequent week: $50
Late Payment Fee: $75
Late Tuition Payment Plan Fee: $25
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee: $25
Transcripts: one issued without charge; $10 fee for subsequent transcripts
Payment of Tuition and Fees
The $110 application fee must accompany the Application for Admission (Slate). The $500 enrollment reservation is required of all students and is credited to the tuition payment due for the Fall semester. The enrollment reservation is non-refundable if the student fails to register, and is due from new graduate and postgraduate students by April 15, and from new undergraduate students by May 1.
The balance of Fall tuition and fees must be paid when Fall classes begin. Spring tuition and fees must be paid when Spring classes begin. Students may also enroll in the Term Payment Plan, which requires a $50 enrollment fee.
Payments can be made by cash, check, or credit card:
- Checks can be mailed to SFCM, in care of the Business Office (50 Oak Street, San Francisco, CA 94102), or they can be brought in person. Checks should be made out to “The San Francisco Conservatory of Music” or “SFCM.”
- Credit card payments can be made over the phone or in person.
- You may mail your credit card information to the Business Office. If you do so, please include the card number, expiration date, billing address, and your name as it appears on your credit card.
- Foreign credit cards are accepted.
- Please DO NOT email your credit card information. As part of our PCI Compliance, we don’t send or receive credit card information in unencrypted forms.
- If you wish to wire funds to SFCM, please contact Jan Vierra in the Business Office.
Housing at The Panoramic:
- Shared/Double Studio: $6,355 per semester
- Shared/Double room within a Suite: $6,355 per semester
- Single room within a Suite: $7,340 per semester
For students in overflow housing with our Columbus Residence partners, the cost is:
- Single Room: $6,200 per semester
- Shared Room: $5,280 per semester
Cost of Attendance
Students should come to SFCM fully prepared to meet their tuition, fees, and living expenses. Although living expenses will vary considerably, the following figures should help students plan a budget for the academic year:
|2018 - 2019 SFCM Student Budget (budget is based on nine-month academic year)|
|Budget Category||Living with Parents||Living in Residence Hall - Double Room||Per Semester
|Health Services Fee||$250||$250||$125|
|Total tuition and fees||$46,110||$46,110|
|Estimated additional student expenses|
|Books and Supplies||$975||$975|
|Food and Housing||$7,100||$16,515|
- Budgets are for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Expenses are estimated and will vary from student to student except for tuition and fees.
- Personal expenses include toiletries, clothing, and entertainment.
- This is the budget that will be used for purposes of Financial Aid.
- If you have any questions please contact the Financial Aid Office.
***All full-time students are required to have health insurance. Undergraduate cost of the Student Health Insurance Plan is estimated at $1,949 ($817 for Fall, $1,132 for Spring and Summer), and the Graduate student cost is $2,651 per year, ($1,111 for Fall and $1,540 for Spring). Fall coverage is from 8/1/2018 to 12/31/2018 and Spring coverage is from 1/1/2019 to 7/31/2019. All students will have this charge on their student billing account until waived with proof of insurance and a signed waiver form.
Use the Net Price Calculator to get a sense of the cost of attendance based on what similar students paid in a previous year.