The SFCM Summer Vocal Academy provides an enriching environment where young musicians can focus intensely and creatively to further their musical and theatrical skills and continue to develop their vocal health, technique, and performance abilities. Participants will interact with SFCM voice faculty through private lessons, group classes, coaching with pianists, master classes, small ensembles, yoga, movement classes, diction work, and a final concert. Although the Academy is primarily a classically based program, employing classical singing technique to support the healthiest approach to all styles of singing, applicants with a range of musical interests are encouraged to apply.
As a student, you will:
1) Take two lessons with SFCM voice faculty
2) Have two professionally recorded concerts featuring all participants in both solo and ensemble numbers for future use
3) Experience the energy of SF’s arts district and Hayes Valley
4) Have daily classes in dance or stage combat
5) Have the chance to perform in a masterclass with a voice, drama or coaching faculty member
When: July 24, 2023 - July 29, 2023
Application Fee: $50
Housing & Dining:
Shared Bedroom: $750
Single Bedroom: $1170
Application Deadline: April 1, 2023
Up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination and booster is required for all those participating in Summer at SFCM programs. If you are unable to get vaccinated due to a medical reason, please email email@example.com.
The Vocal Academy is designed for currently enrolled High school students (ages 14+) of all levels of vocal training and with the potential to pursue serious musical studies.
Interested students should complete the online application and submit an audition video including the following:
- Introduction - State your name, age, what you'd like to get out of your participation the Vocal Academy
- Two (2) solos of your choice (one may be musical theater). Accompaniment may be either live or pre-recorded.
Sample Daily Schedule
8:00 AM Breakfast
9:30 AM Mindfulness & Yoga
10:30 AM Dance and Stage Combat/Swordplay
11:30 AM Lunch
12:20 - 3 PM Lessons/Coachings/Practice time
3:00 PM Daily Topic: Intro to phonetics, Digital Presence, Song Lit for College Auditions, Intro to jazz improv techniques, Intro to TAC
4:00 PM Acting classes/Staging rehearsal for final concert
5:00 PM Masterclass with SFCM faculty (each participant gets up at least once)
6:30 PM Dinner
7:30 PM Special Event/Group Activity
Matthew Worth, Artistic Director