Guitar Master of Music Curriculum
Collegiate Apply / Request Information
Life isn’t an audition.
Any music school can make you a better player. Our interconnected courses are built to transform you intellectually, artistically, professionally, and individually. You’ll understand the roots of your music, freeing you to take it somewhere new. You’ll see how your training broadens your options, rather than narrowing them. You'll find your voice. And you'll enter the world with the same confidence you bring to the stage.
Curriculum: Master of Music in Guitar
Credit Total: 47
|Musicianship and Music Theory||0|
|Music History and Literature||12|
|Applied Practical Training||2|
|Winter Term||2 Years|
|Juries and Recitals||N/A|
Historical Performance Emphasis for Plucked Strings (Graduate) (credit total: 11-13)
- ENS 210 (Conservatory Baroque Ensemble) (2 semesters, 4 credits)
- ENS 212 (Continuo Playing) or ENS 305 (Basso Continuo) for Guitarists (1 semester, 2 credits). Not required if student can demonstrate prior experience.
- MHL 733 (Performance Practice: Baroque Era) (1 semester, 3 credits). In years where MHL 733 is not offered, students should register for MHL 400 (Introduction to Performance Practice).
- PRF 348 (Historical Plucked Strings) (2 semesters, 4 credits)
- HPE Jury: Jury requirements as determined by HPE faculty. HPE jury is in addition to major instrument jury.
These credits also count toward the Master of Music degree. Please consult the Guitar Department Manual.